Thursday, March 11, 2010

Phrases with "far"

I've come across some interesting phrases with the word far, some of them I do like and it may be of your interest too:

as/so far as I know

used to say what you think is true, although you do not know all the facts
He isn't coming today, as far as I know.

as/so far as I'm concerned

used to say what your personal opinion is about something
She can come whenever she likes, as far as I'm concerned.

as/so far as I can tell

used to say what you have noticed or understood
There's been no change, as far as I can tell.

far be it from me to

I certainly would not
Far be it from me to tell you how to run your life.

far from sth

certainly not something
The situation is far from clear.

far from it

certainly not
He's not handsome - far from it.

from far and wide

from a large number of places
People came from far and wide to see the house.

so far

until now
So far we've made thirty-two thousand pounds.

so far so good

used to say that an activity has gone well until now
I've found a tin of beans. So far so good, but where is the opener?

==================================================

as far as I know and as far as I'm concerned were never crystal clear to me, but that's just changed.

I'd like to dedicate some attention to far be it from me to. In Brazilian Portuguese, it is a common phrase amongst people:

Far be it from me to reveal the secret to him. (English)
Longe de mim revelar o segredo para ele. (Portuguese)


Credits to: Cambridge online dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment