Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cultura Inglesa - Marcos: 4th composition (Dec 2006)

This time I needed to write a letter of complain about an advertisement I have recently seen on TV and brough me on to have objection to it. It has ended up like this, and it's about to be fowarded to my teacher. He's a native speaker, born in England, with an unique accent over here, Christopher.


To whom it may concern:

The very reason that has prompted me to write this letter is owing to the commercial I saw on television the day before yesterday. Such was my indignation when I set my eyes upon the commercial that no sooner had a woman appeared than I switched off my television, also because I knew what was about to come up if I did not take any action. I had already overheard people commenting on such a commercial at work, but I misbelieved then.

What was shown is a woman semi-naked dancing and drinking an alcoholic drink. The object of my concern is that the woman expresses herself as being proud of her actions, thus demonstrating herself as a pattern to be followed. But there is more to it than that; not only was the commercial on during a period of time at which lots of children were in front of television, but also that woman takes her brassiere out in the end, what is utterly unacceptable by me. Should it be otherwise, late at night when most children are probably in bed, there would not have any problem at all. Nonetheless, repeating it as when it was broadcasted, that would be solely disgusting.

Moreover, other point that disturbs me considerably is the lack of responsibility of such advertisements. You all do not realise how many people may be watching your programmes and taking into consideration what you display; rather, you probably know about it, but you disregard the matter since what must be paramount to your television station is the revenues from your programmes and commercials.

So I still respectfully request you to do not televise the commercial at issue during the day, when the youth is very certain to be awake and in front of television. We ought all to remember that children are going to be the future citizens of our nation and they have to acquire their experiences of life accordingly while they are rising.

I am deeply thankful beforehand to your personnel all.

Yours sincerely,

Marcos P Silvestri

No comments:

Post a Comment