Friday, March 19, 2010

IDIOM: out of the blue

It has always triggered my curiosity to know from where the idiom out of the blue sprung.

Eventually, its origin explanation popped up at me.

out of the blue or out of a clear blue sky is an idiom to denote "without warning", "totally unexpectedly". Time and again we bump into this idiomatic expression, but what really makes me scratch my head is its origin.

Analyzing out of a clear blue sky itself, it leads us to think that nothing is expected to happen in a clear blue sky, once everything is at reach to our sight. Thus, if even so something happens, that's completely unexpectedly, or yet, out of a clear blue sky, or even more commonly heard, out of the blue.

I hope you've enjoyed this breakthrough such as I have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment