Monday, June 14, 2010

A new professional change

The below message has been sent to my teachers recently, keeping them posted of what I decided for my future due to the experienced difficulties in the Translation & Interpretation market, to find jobs and worthwhile salaries.

After sending dozens of resumes, a small number of unsuccessful returns and recruitment tests, I have had the entire semester to verify how difficult and uncertain the Languages area appears to be to me. Unfortunately, I cannot be jobless for an undetermined time, I had better not attend a 3-year-course that is not certain to furnish me with the desired job in terms of pleasure and salary down the line.

This context defined the content of my message:

Hello dear ones,

I have come to share the latest news about my professional life. Decisions have been made that you should all be aware of, as well as the other teachers involved.

First of all, I would like to inform that I am not attending classes for the next three weeks, thus missing all the examinations. I am thoroughly conscious of what such absences are going to originate, affecting completely my grades, and ultimately winding up in semester failure. However, never have I undergone such a difficulty to find a job after I moved from Information Technology to Languages, and now I have been offered training at a multinational company wherein I am very likely succeeding and getting hired. The problem is, it is taking place in the evening, from 18 to 22H, and I cannot turn down such an offer that appears to be unique for the moment. It is in the IT field and bilingual.

Additionally, even though I like our course and appreciate much of its presented content, I acknowledge, I do not envisage a bright future for me in the short-run. Unfortunately, job web sites do not reveal something attractive in terms of salary and number of offers. To my perception, the bilingual professional has been badly paid in Brazil, English language has become a built-in skill that do not represent an extra professional ability anymore; rather, just a mandatory asset. Having said that and analyzing the situation, I foresee other languages should be learned, to make me stand out in the Translation and Interpretation market, but that is not for the short-run.

As a result, I have decided to drop out of our course, without any sentiment of disgust or dissatisfaction. The job you perform is of excellent quality and you do the best with the resources FMU make available to you.

Given my acquired background in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, in addition to doing researches in the market in search of what I think to be able to suit my needs in terms of number of offers and salary, I have made up my mind to take up Engineering. I carefully considered the matter, and I am decided to face the new challenge.

Despite my decision, such has been my fondness for the FMU group that I do not intend to stay away. There is an Engineering course of my interest at FISP, besides other advantages, what prompted me to direct my eyes to your facilities once again.

I felt this message should be conveyed and I hereby do it, bringing it to your awareness.

Thank you very much indeed for all the support and consideration for the time being. Keep up the good work and shine.

Yours sincerely,

Marcos

As I have seen, Engineering salaries, here in Brazil, usually range from R$3,000 to R$8,000. Internship positions are usually above R$1,000, that is, it can be higher than a language professional after long years dedicated to learning English. That's the average, after a deep research at Catho web pages, one of the most famous and effective job web sites in Brazil.

What about pleasure? Am I only considering money? Not really, since I've already been through technical courses such as Mechatronics and Chemistry, additionally to 1 year and a half attending Physics. In other words, I am familiar with the subjects in question. I'm aware it is going to be very challenging, Calculus books still intimidate a bit, but I do think that I have reached a point in life at which I must think about my future, trying to keep the balance between satisfaction and money. That is not an easy task at all; for almost 10 years I've been allowing myself to do just what I liked, never taking money that seriously, but now I see that as long as time goes by, money necessity comes about, physical acquisitions become mandatory, dreams fulfillment begin to call for realization, family health starts decaying, etc. As a result, the right approach, the most plausible I see for me, it is to sacrifice part of my pleasure if needed, and struggle to make a good profit. After all, I still want to have my own house and visit my friends in Thailand one day :)

Working with English language has always been an unquenchable thirst, it was not by chance that I chose Languages at the beginning of the year. Nevertheless, now I face the uncertainties of the field, and I feel the need to move on. Engineering has been chosen given the figures above, also much better than the vast majority positions in the IT field in the Brazilian market. Once I had a previous background in lots of Engineering subjects, more long years in IT, I see now the opportunity to unite everything, to combine the different pieces of knowledge so as to make a solid and consistent whole, what I do expect for me.

There's no more time to waste, so here I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment