Sunday, September 25, 2011

Experiencing Gravity Differently / Bungee Jumping

Last weekend I participated in a sports event here in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I was invited by a friend, one of the organizers of the event, to be a guest and the first in the bungee jumping section.

Never had I seen such a thing closely before, I was the first of the day to jump, thus I felt like a guinea pig on that day.

It was 43m high, approximately a 16 floor building, and naturally, it was pretty scaring. While being elevated, the heart gets accelerated, I tried to avoid looking around, in order to keep calmer. The hardest part undoubtedly was to take the decision, to either jump or stay. The is certainly the most critical part, that is the time you can verify if you've got the guts or not.

I was wearing a t-shirt depicting the Super Saiyan Vegeta, that was a courage charm for me, in a bid to encourage me greatly to do that, and it seems that it worked out.

The free fall lasts roughly between 1 second and a half to 2 seconds, I reckon. After that, you're brought back and forth, up and down, right to left, by that rope that you have to fully trust.

Well, the bottom line conclusion I came to after that unusual scaring experience is, fear is really something psychological. Some moments before jumping I could clearly feel fear coming all over me, and intelligently, I noticed that such a thing was optional, I could either let it take control of me, or else, get rid of it by emptying my mind. The point is, keep your mind void, don't think. If you begin thinking about what you're about to do and all conceivable outcomes, you probably won't jump.

Is there an indication that feelings can really be controlled? Ah man, I've always believed that, when we are seriously determined to do it, we can, we can put intelligence over feelings, and naturally, that can be extended to feelings like love and hate. Mind can control feelings, there are times reasoning must beat emotions, and with will-power, determination, we can achieve it.

In the end, that jump was useful for the realization that we can handle self control, mind can control emotions, and we surprise ourselves by see us doing the unconceivable, overcoming our limitations and achieving a new perspective of our own selves. We got the power LOL!!!
Now the videos:

1) This one is my jump being entirely shot, initially by me, while being lifted and the moments before the jump. Later then, my friend Denis, the Japanese guy, shooting my whole fall:

2) The jump of the second guy (I was the first), shot from the floor. He was reluctant (I understand him), but he eventually jumped:


3) Another guy being shot from the floor, this one did it with much courage:

I hope you'll enjoy the videos, comments are welcome, cheers from Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment